ADMINISTRATOR Start-up guide
Step 1: Log in to Wordshark Online
Click on the
link provided in your welcome email or copy and paste the unique URL into a web browser – Google Chrome / Safari is recommended.
Enter your email as your username
Once you have changed your password you need to sign back in straight away.
As Wordshark Administrator, you add teachers and oversee their groups and students: if you want someone else to take
over this role click here for instructions on how to change the subscription Administrator.
You can check/edit your personal and school details from your Dashboard/Profile now or at a later stage.
As default, the Wordshark Administrator also has Teacher functions so you don't need to add yourself. You will set up any GROUP OF YOUR OWN later.
A wizard helps you to add other users...
It is best to select Quick Set
to add your staff and students
unless you plan to add a whole school at once.
For Quick Set Up you will need to add at least one teacher and one student in the wizard, so have the following information to hand which will be needed in the following order:
A list of staff you want to set up, with their emails
(This does not need to be an exhaustive list as you can return to the wizard at any time to add more using the
Quick Set Up
– though this and all later wizards need at least one teacher
one student per upload)
Names of groups
you want each of the teachers to work with
A list of students
and which of the above groups you wish to place them in
Once you have set up your staff, an automatic email will be sent to them with their login details. Ask them to check their spam/junk if they are unable to locate it in their inbox. When they first login they will also be given a wizard showing the group(s) and students you have already set up
- which they can add to, if wished.
If you intend to be the sole teacher
tick the 'Do not show again' before exiting
Set Up Wizard
to avoid this reappearing. You can always return to the Set Up by choosing the 'bulk upload' option from the Manage Groups section.
To set up your own group:
In the main menu under Groups & Users select Manage Groups
Select Add New
Give your group a name and click Next then Add
When prompted to add students,
If any are already on the system, select Add selected
of your intended group are on the system yet, select Add later - information buttons will guide you in adding your students
VIDEO: Adding users when first going into Wordshark
Step 3: Distribute Login Details to Students
- Go to Groups & Users then Student Logins lower on screen. Select Individual student logins to clipboard and then the group and OK, ready to paste into an email - or choose to print labels to hand out.
- Remind everyone to bookmark the school’s unique website login address – needed for each time they log in. Alternatively they can download a shortcut to their desktop - see circled in the screenshot. More information on setting up a shortcut.
Other information that may be helpful:
- The first thing all students do is take the Shark Challenge (adaptive assessment and placement test) - please don’t allow any prompts when they are doing this.
- They will then be suitably placed in Supershark (Wordshark course with automatic progression) - but you can change their Supershark Unit level at any time (or reset the test), under the Set work tab.
- Students are given differing sets of games (with an optional reward game every third game).
- They are moved through the course sequentially - generally they need 85% or higher accuracy in a spelling check game (spelling test) to move to the next list.
- The students might need reminding to look at their new target words (under My play words) every time they move to a new list, and to be a detective as to why these words are put together in one list.
Day to day usage
- Consider sticking with the default Supershark course to start with (though you as teacher can set work from any course - or add your own lists to set).
- Use a printout of the Wordshark/Supershark course to plan realistic targets for your students to aim for.
- Aim to use the program a suggested x 3 per week, maybe during lessons, homework and clubs. This info page may also be helpful: Advice, encouragement and usage
- Reports on Supershark are updated overnight so daily progress will show up the following day. Set work reports are available straight away.
Additional features worth exploring
TEACHER Start-up guide
Step 1: Log in to Wordshark Online Click on the link provided in your welcome email or copy and paste the unique URL into a web browser – Google Chrome / Safari is recommended. Enter your email as your username - as shown in the email. Once you have ...
TUTOR Quick Start-up guide
STEP 1: LOG IN TO WORDSHARK ONLINE You will have been sent a website address to click on something like this https://onwordshark.com/name It is a unique link for you and your students to use every time you sign in. When you click on your link it ...
Changing the Administrator
Changing from Administrator to Teacher: Note that changing the administrator will just change the email and name of the administrator account. Any existing groups, set work or word lists stay with the admin account and cannot be migrated to a ...
Forgotten Password - Administrator/Teacher
To reset your password if you are an administrator or teacher Go to the sign in page for your school At the sign in screen, instead of entering any details click on ‘password’ under the sign in box You will be prompted ‘You are in the right place if ...
End of Year Process for the Wordshark Administrator
Update Students Year Group To update the year group for all students in one go use the ‘Year Rollover’ button. Select ‘Groups & Users’, from the main menu at the top, then select either of the ‘Manage Groups’ or ‘Manage Students’ tabs. NB: The final ...
Still need help?
We will get back to you as soon as we can.